Eighteenth-Century Poetry Archive
The Eighteenth-Century Poetry Archive — ECPA — is a peer-reviewed, award-winning digital archive and research project devoted to the poetry of the long eighteenth century. ECPA builds on the electronic texts created by the Text Creation Partnership from Gale’s Eighteenth Century Collections Online (ECCO).
- browse authors by names, dates of birth, or gender;
- browse works ( text versions) by titles, first lines, themes, or genres;
- view high-quality digital facsimiles of select source editions of the texts used by ECPA;
- use the built-in digital tools to augment the close reading process of individual poems;
- contribute and share textual notes and glosses, readings and interpretations, observations and suggestions, via easy-to-use forms (just click on any line or word);
- use the collaborative potential in the classroom to increase student engagement with the texts;
- consult the resources (bibliography, chronology, gallery, etc.) for your further engagement with the field.
Works in ECPA
alphabetical listing / listing in source editions
- ARTHUR and ALBINA. ()
- [CANTATA DELLO STESSO.] TRANSLATION. ()
- [CANTATA. [DELL] METASTAISO.] TRANSLATION. ()
- CEN'LIN, PRINCE OF MERCIA. ()
- THE COMPLAINT OF FANCY. To A. R. C. ()
- EDITHA ()
- FRAGMENT. ()
- FRAGMENT. ()
- THE FRATERNAL DUEL. ()
- HUMAN PLEASURE OR PAIN. ()
- IN A LETTER to A.R.C. ON HER WISHING TO BE CALLED ANNA. ()
- IN MEMORY OF Mr. AGOSTINO ISOLA, OF CAMBRIDGE, Who died on the 5th of June, 1797. ()
- INVITATION, To J. B. C. ()
- [LA FORTUNA. DELLO STESSO.] TRANSLATION. ()
- THE LONELY WALK To W. S. B. ()
- ON A FAN ()
- ON THE EVE OF DEPARTURE From O — ()
- THE OUTLAW ()
- PHILEMON. ()
- RHAPSODY ()
- [SONETTO. DI GIOVANNI DELLA CASA.] SONNET, TO SLEEP. TRANSLATION ()
- THE TERRORS OF GUILT ()
- TO M. I. ()
- TO M. I. ()
- TO SIMPLICITY. ()
- TO THE NUNS OF BODNEY. ()
- Written April the 18th, 1796. ()
- Written in London, on the 19th of March 1796. ()
- WRITTEN IN ZIMMERMANN's SOLITUDE. ()
- WRITTEN ON WHITSUN-MONDAY 1795. ()
- Elegies and Other Small Poems, by Matilda Betham. Ipswich: Printed by W. Burrell, and sold by Longman, Paternoster-Row, and Jermyn and Forster, Ipswich, 1797. (ESTC T143264)
Reiman, Donald H., ed. Poems. New York: Garland, 1978. Print.
Reiman, Donald H., ed. The Lay of Marie, a Poem. New York: Garland, 1978. Print.
Matilda Betham: A New Biography. Wordsworth Circle 38(3) (Summer 2007): 143-146. Print.
Todd, Janet, ed. A Dictionary of British and American Women Writers 1660-1800. Paperback edition, revised. Lanham et al.: Rowman & Littlefield, 1987. 48-49. Print.
Bailey, Elaine. 'A Singular Person': Portraits of Subjectivity in the Poetry and Prose of Matilda Betham. Unpubl. diss., U of Ottawa, Jul. 2003. Print.
Paley, Morton D.
Coleridge's To Matilda Betham, from a Stranger. Wordsworth Circle 27(3) (Summer 1996): 169-172. Print.
Matilda Betham, The Lay of Marie, 1816. Wordsworth Circle 27(3) (Summer 1996): 172-175. Print.