Works in ECPA
alphabetical listing / listing in source editions
- EPITAPH ON CLAUDIUS PHILLIPS. ()
- AN EVENING ODE. TO STELLA. ()
- LONDON: A POEM, In Imitation of the Third SATIRE of JUVENAL. ()
- THE NATURAL BEAUTY. TO STELLA. ()
- AN ODE. ()
- PROLOGUE SPOKEN BY MR. GARRICK, APRIL V. MDCCL. BEFORE THE MASQUE OF COMUS, ACTED AT DRURY-LANE, FOR THE BENEFIT OF MILTON'S GRAND-DAUGHTER. ()
- PROLOGUE SPOKEN BY Mr. GARRICK, At the Opening of the Theatre in Drury-lane 1747. ()
- A SONG. ()
- TO MISS —, ON HER GIVING THE AUTHOR A GOLD AND SILK NETWORK PURSE OF HER OWN WEAVING. ()
- TO MISS —, ON HER PLAYING UPON THE HARPSICORD IN A ROOM HUNG WITH SOME FLOWER-PIECES OF HER OWN PAINTING. ()
- A TRANSLATION OF THE LATIN EPITAPH ON SIR THOMAS HANMER. ()
- The VANITY of HUMAN WISHES. THE Tenth Satire of JUVENAL. IMITATED ()
- THE VANITY OF WEALTH: AN ODE. ()
- THE WINTER's WALK. (); THE WINTER's WALK. ()
- Dodsley, Robert, 1703-1764. A Collection of Poems in Six Volumes. By Several Hands. Vol. I. London: printed by J. Hughs, for R. and J. Dodsley, 1763 [1st ed. 1758]. 6v.: music; 8⁰. (ESTC T131163; OTA K104099.001)
- Dodsley, Robert, 1703-1764. A Collection of Poems in Six Volumes. By Several Hands. Vol. IV. London: printed by J. Hughs, for R. and J. Dodsley, 1763 [1st ed. 1758]. 6v.: music; 8⁰. (ESTC T131163; OTA K104099.004)
- Mendez, Moses. A collection of the most esteemed pieces of poetry: that have appeared for several years. With variety of originals, by the late Moses Mendez, Esq; and other contributors to Dodsley's collection. To which this is intended as a supplement. London: printed for Richardson and Urquhart, 1767. ,320p. ; 8⁰. (ESTC T124631; DMI 1073; OTA K099398.000)
- Pearch, G. A collection of poems in four volumes. By several hands. Vol. I. [The second edition]. London: printed for G. Pearch, 1770. 4v. ; 8⁰. (ESTC T116245; DMI 1122; OTA K093079.001)
- Pearch, G. A collection of poems in four volumes. By several hands. Vol. III. [The second edition]. London: printed for G. Pearch, 1770. 4v. ; 8⁰. (ESTC T116245; DMI 1136; OTA K093079.003)
Index of English Literary Manuscripts. Vol. III, 1700-1800 . London: Mansell, 1986-1997. Pt. 2 Gay-Philips. 121-178. Print. 4 volumes.
The Works of the English Poets, from Chaucer to Cowper; including the Series Edited, with Prefaces, Biographical and Critical, by Dr Samuel Johnson: and the most approved translations. The Additional Lives by Alexander Chalmers, F.S.A. Vol. XVI. London: J. Johnson et al., 1810. 547-624. Google Books edition. Web. 13 Feb. 2016. https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=5OEUAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA547
Fleeman, J. D., ed. Samuel Johnson: The Complete English Poems. New Haven: Yale UP, 1982. Print.
Greene, Donald, ed. Samuel Johnson: The Major Works. Oxford World's Classics. Oxford: OUP, 2000. Print.
McAdam, E. L., ed. Samuel Johnson: Poems. Yale Edition of the Works of Samuel Johnson, vol. VI. New Haven: Yale UP, 1964. Print.
Redford, Bruce, ed. The Letters of Samuel Johnson. The Hyde Edition. Princeton: Princeton UP, 1992-4. Print. 5 volumes.
Bate, Walter Jackson. Samuel Johnson. London: Chatto & Windus, 1975. Print.
Boswell, James. Life of Johnson (1791), ed. George Birkbeck Hill and L. F. Powell. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1934–64. Print. 6 volumes.
DeMaria, Jr., Robert. The Life of Samuel Johnson. A Critical Biography. Oxford and Cambridge, Mass.: Blackwell, 1993. Print.
Fleeman, J. D. A Bibliography of the Works of Samuel Johnson: treating his published works from the beginnings to 1984. New York: Oxford University Press, 2000. Print.
Selected Bibliography: Samuel Johnson (1709-1784). c18 Bibliographies On-Line. Ed. Jack Lynch. Rutgers University, Newark, 21 Feb. 2001. Web. 20 Jan. 2012. http://jacklynch.net/C18/biblio/johnson.html.
Baines, Paul, Julian Ferraro, Pat Rogers, eds. The Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Eighteenth-Century Writers and Writing, 1660-1789. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell, 2011. 195-199. Print.
Fairer, David. English Poetry of the Eighteenth Century 1700-1789. Longman Literature in English Series. Harlow: Longman, 2003. 274-275. Print.
English Poetry, 1660-1800: a guide to information sources. American Literature, English Literature, and World Literatures in English Information Guide Series, vol. 40. Detroit: Gale, 1982. 252-269. Print.
Radcliffe, David H., ed.
Samuel Johnson (1709-1784). Spenser and the Tradition: ENGLISH POETRY 1579-1830. Center for Applied Technologies in the Humanities, Virginia Tech, 2006. Web. 4 Nov. 2011. http://spenserians.cath.vt.edu/AuthorRecord.php?recordid=33039.
"Samuel Johnson". Great Writers Inspire. University of Oxford. Web. 16 Jul. 2016. http://writersinspire.org/writers/samuel-johnson.
Johnson, Samuel. A Collection of Poems by Several Hands . Ed. Robert Dodsley and Michael F. Suarez. Vol. I. London: Routledge/Thoemmes, 1997. 174-175. Print. 6 volumes.
Budick, Sanford. Poetry of Civilization: Mythopoeic Displacement in the Verse of Milton, Dryden, Pope, and Johnson. New Haven and London: Yale UP, 1974. 156-172. Print.
Johnson's Funeral Writings. ELH 41 (1974): 192-211. Print.
To the Vanity of Human Wishes through the 1740s. Studies in Philology 74 (1977): 445-464. Print.
Venturo, David F. Johnson the Poet: The Poetic Career of Samuel Johnson. Newark, NJ: U of Delaware P., 1999. Print.