EXTEMPORE ON ARRIVING IN THE COUNTRY.
1 Can silent pleasures give my love the smile
2 Of sweet content, of happiness serene?
3 Can Anna's care, her tenderness beguile
4 The languor of a solitary scene?
5 Yes, for with anxious love I'll watch his eye,
6 His will, his wishes in his features trace;
7 With fond impatience to prevent them fly,
8 My sweet reward, a smile from his dear face.
About this text
Title (in Source Edition): EXTEMPORE ON ARRIVING IN THE COUNTRY.
Author: Isabella Kelly (née Fordyce)
Genres: occasional poem
Text view / Document view
Typography, spelling, capitalization, and punctuation have been cautiously modernized. The source of the text is given and all significant editorial interventions have been recorded in textual notes. This ECPA text has been edited to conform to the recommendations found in Level 5 of the Best Practices for TEI in Libraries version 4.0.0.
Other works by Isabella Kelly (née Fordyce)
- ANSWER TO THE SONG OF 'TRUST NOT MAN,' &c. ()
- The CHOICE; or, DULL HOUR PAST. ()
- THE EAGLE, THE KITE, AND THE COCK. An Emblematic Fable, most respectfully addressed to the Right Hon. General C——y. Written in the year 1788. ()
- EPITAPH ON A FAVORITE TAME CHICKEN. ()
- EXTEMPORE AFTER A DISPUTE AT DUNKERQUE. ()
- EXTEMPORE in the GARDEN of a CONVENT belonging to LES SOEURS NOIR, à BOURBURG. ()
- THE HAWK, THE MAGPIES, AND THE PIGEONS. A Fable, very respectfully addressed to the Hon. Mrs. E—tw—k. ()
- IN THE BLANK LEAF OF LORD LYTTELTON'S WORKS. ()
- LINES FOR THE BLANK LEAF OF MY PRAYER BOOK: WRITTEN ON A SUNDAY. ()
- MIRANDA and the RED-BREAST. A FABLE FOR THE LADIES. ()
- ON A CHILD'S BIRTH DAY. ()
- ON BEHOLDING ARTHUR ASLEEP. ()
- ON THE RIGHT HONORABLE GENERAL C——Y LOSING HIS ELECTION FOR BURY ST. EDMUND'S. ()
- REFLECTIONS AFTER VIEWING A SCENE OF DISTRESS. ()
- THE REFORMED MAN OF FASHION, TO HIS FRIEND. ()
- RETIRED THOUGHTS TO A DEPARTED INFANT. ()
- TO A BROTHER, ON ENTERING THE ARMY. ()
- TO A WANDERING HUSBAND, FROM A DESERTED WIFE. ()
- TO AN UNBORN INFANT. ()
- To ARTHUR. ()
- TO THE MEMORY OF AN HONEST MAN, MR. B. D., ADDRESSED TO HIS WIDOW. ()
- To the MEMORY of ELIZA F——E, AN EXEMPLARY MOTHER. ()
- TO THE MEMORY OF LIEUT. JAMES ABERNETHIE, LOST ON BOARD THE GLORIEUX, 1782. ()
- TO THE MEMORY OF THE HONORABLE MISS CAROLINE CAMPBEL. ()
- TO THE MEMORY OF THE LAMENTED MR. ROBERT HAWKE K——Y. ()
- TO THE MEMORY OF THE LATE CAPTAIN T. H. ABBOTT. RESPECTFULLY ADDRESSED TO THE OFFICERS OF THE ARTILLERY. ()
- THE VISION. ()
- WRITTEN IN VERY DEEP AFFLICTION. ()