John Gay(30 June 1685 - 4 December 1732)
Works in ECPA
alphabetical listing / listing in source editions
- [FABLE ] INTRODUCTION TO THE FABLES. The Shepherd and the Philosopher. ()
- FABLE  I. The Lyon, the Tyger, and the Traveller. ()
- FABLE  II. The Spaniel and the Cameleon. ()
- FABLE  III. The Mother, the Nurse, and the Fairy. ()
- FABLE  IV. The Eagle, and the Assembly of Animals. ()
- FABLE  V. The Wild Boar and the Ram. ()
- FABLE  VI. The Miser and Plutus. ()
- FABLE  VII. The Lyon, the Fox, and the Geese. ()
- FABLE  VIII. The Lady and the Wasp. ()
- FABLE  IX. The Bull and the Mastiff. ()
- FABLE  X. The Elephant and the Bookseller. ()
- FABLE  XI. The Peacock, the Turkey, and Goose. ()
- FABLE  XII. Cupid, Hymen, and Plutus. ()
- FABLE  XIII. The tame Stag. ()
- FABLE  XIV. The Monkey who had seen the World. ()
- FABLE  XV. The Philosopher and the Pheasants. ()
- FABLE  XVI. The Pin and the Needle. ()
- FABLE  XVII. The Shepherd's Dog and the Wolf. ()
- FABLE  XVIII. The Painter who pleased No body and Every body. ()
- FABLE  XIX. The Lyon and the Cub. ()
- FABLE  XX. The Old Hen and the Cock. ()
- FABLE  XXI. The Rat-catcher and Cats. ()
- FABLE  XXII. The Goat without a beard. ()
- FABLE  XXIII. The Old Woman and her Cats. ()
- FABLE  XXIV. The Butterfly and the Snail. ()
- FABLE  XXV. The Scold and the Parrot. ()
- FABLE  XXVI. The Cur and the Mastiff. ()
- FABLE  XXVII. The Sick Man and the Angel. ()
- FABLE  XXVIII. The Persian, the Sun and the Cloud. ()
- FABLE  XXIX. The Fox at the point of death. ()
- FABLE  XXX. The Setting-dog and the Partridge. ()
- FABLE  XXXI. The Universal Apparition. ()
- FABLE  XXXII. The two Owls and the Sparrow. ()
- FABLE  XXXIII. The Courtier and Proteus. ()
- FABLE  XXXIV. The Mastiffs. ()
- FABLE  XXXV. The Barley-mow and the Dung-hill. ()
- FABLE  XXXVI. Pythagoras and the Countryman. ()
- FABLE  XXXVII. The Farmer's Wife and the Raven. ()
- FABLE  XXXVIII. The Turkey and the Ant. ()
- FABLE  XXXIX. The Father and Jupiter. ()
- FABLE  XL. The two Monkeys. ()
- FABLE  XLI. The Owl and the Farmer. ()
- FABLE  XLII. The Jugglers. ()
- FABLE  XLIII. The Council of Horses. ()
- FABLE  XLIV. The Hound and the Huntsman. ()
- FABLE  XLV. The Poet and the Rose. ()
- FABLE  XLVI. The Cur, the Horse, and the Shepherd's Dog. ()
- FABLE  XLVII. The Court of Death. ()
- FABLE  XLVIII. The Gardener and the Hog. ()
- FABLE  XLIX. The Man and the Flea. ()
- FABLE  L. The Hare and many Friends. ()
- Gay, John, 1685-1732. FABLES. By Mr. GAY. London: Printed for J. Tonson and J. Watts, MDCCXXVII., 1727. ,173,p.: ill.; 4°. (ESTC T13818)
Index of English Literary Manuscripts. Vol. III, 1700-1800 . London: Mansell, 1986-1997. Pt. 2 Gay-Philips. 3-13. Print. 4 volumes.
Burgess, C. F., ed. The Letters of John Gay. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1966. Print.
Dearing, Vinton A., introd. John Gay. Fables (1727, 1738). Augustan Reprint Society Special Series. Los Angeles: Clark Memorial Library, UCLC, 1967. Print.
Dearing, Vinton A., ed. with Charles E. Beckwith. John Gay. Poetry and Prose. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1974. Print. 2 volumes.
Graham, Albert E. John Gay's 'Fables', Edited with an Introduction on the Fable as an Eighteenth-Century Literary Genre. Unpub. doct. diss., Princeton University, 1960. Print. [Dissertation Abstracts International, XXI (1961), 2273.]
Nokes, David. John Gay: A Profession of Friendship. A Critical Biography. Oxford: OUP, 1995. Print.
Baines, Paul, Julian Ferraro, Pat Rogers, eds. The Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Eighteenth-Century Writers and Writing, 1660-1789. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell, 2011. 138-140. Print.
Radcliffe, David H., ed.
John Gay (1685-1732). Spenser and the Tradition: ENGLISH POETRY 1579-1830. Center for Applied Technologies in the Humanities, Virginia Tech, 2006. Web. 14 Oct. 2011. http://spenserians.cath.vt.edu/AuthorRecord.php?recordid=32958.
The slave, the scourge, and society: a comparison of Gay's first and second series of Fables. Bourdeau, Debra Taylor, and Elizabeth Kraft, eds. On second thought: updating the eighteenth-century text. Newark, NJ: Delaware UP, 2007. 43-65. Print.
Ames, Dianne S.
Gay's Trivia and the Art of Allusion. Studies in Philology 75 (1978): 199-222. Print.
Beckwith, Charles E.
The Languages of Gay's Trivia. Eighteenth-Century Life 10 (1986): 27-43. Print.
Fischer, John Irwin.
Never on Sunday: John Gay's The Shepherd's Week. Studies in Eighteenth-Century Culture 10 (1981): 191-203. Print.
Gardner, Kevin J.
John Gay, Court Patronage, and The Fables. Reinardus: Yearbook of the International Reynard Society/Annuaire de la Société Internationale Renardienne 27 (2015): 98-111. Print.
John Gay's Second Series, the 'Craftsman' in Fables. Papers on Language & Literature V (Winter): 17-25. Print.
John Gay's Fables: A Childish Work?. Tosi, Laura, ed. and introd. Hearts of Lightness: The Magic of Children's Literature. Venice, Italy: Cafoscarina, 2001. 47-56. Print.
Huete, Sylvia Ballard. John Gay's 'Fables I' and 'II': a study in the eighteenth-century fable. Unpub. doct. diss., University of Southern Mississippi, 1973. Print. [Dissertation Abstracts International (34) 5104A.]
The Deep Structure of Narrative Element in Neoclassical Fable. Studia Anglica Posnaniensia: An International Review of English Studies 30 (1996): 169-182. Print.
Blake's Engravings for Gay's Fables. Book Collector London, England 21 (1972): 59-64. Print.
Lewis, Peter, and Nigel Wood, eds. John Gay and the Scriblerians. London; New York: Vision; St. Martin's Press, 1989. Print.
Fables of the Bees: Species as an Intercultural Discourse in Eighteenth-Century Scientific and Literary Texts. Esprit Créateur 46(2) (2006): 33-41. Print.
De la traduction à la fontainisation: Le Cas des Fables de John Gay en France. Cointre, Annie, and Annie Rivara, eds. La Traduction des genres non romanesques au XVIIIe siècle. Metz, France: Centre d'Etudes de la Traduction, Université de Metz, 2003. 89-118. Print.
Shea, John S. Studies in the Verse Fable from LaFontaine to Gay. Unpub. doct. diss., University of Minnesota, 1968. Print. [Dissertation Abstracts: Section A. Humanities and Social Science Ann Arbor, MI, 1968, 5029A.]
A Reading of Gay's Fables. Script & Print: Bulletin of the Bibliographical Society of Australia and New Zealand 30(3) (2006): 181-185. Print.
Wray, William R. The English Fable, 1650-1800. Unpub. doct. diss, Yale University, 1950. Print. [Dissertation Abstracts: Section A. Humanities and Social Science Ann Arbor, MI, 1968, 619A.]