EPITAPH ON A PEASANT.
1 THE Swain who own'd yon rural cot
2 Now lies near this sequester'd spot.
3 With his industrious faithful wife
4 He trod the path of humble life,
5 Nor knew the sorrows which await
6 The trifling revels of the great:[Page 136]
7 Here village lads at evening hour
8 Shall strew the lately gather'd flower,
9 And pensive nymphs assemble here,
10 To shed a sympathetic tear.
11 O Stranger! thy sad tribute give,
12 Like Damon die, like Damon live!
13 For Virtue lasting plaudit gains,
14 When freed from these terrestrial plains.
- TEI/XML [chunk] (XML - 26K / ZIP - 3.8K) / ECPA schema (RNC - 357K / ZIP - 73K)
- Plain text [excluding paratexts] (TXT - 536 / ZIP - 531 )
Facsimile (Source Edition)
(Page images digitized from a copy in the Bodleian Library [(OC) 280 o.791].)
All Images (PDF - 2.9M)
About this text
Author: Joseph Cockfield
References: DMI 32652
Text view / Document view
Pearch, G. A collection of poems in four volumes. By several hands. Vol. IV. [The second edition]. London: printed for G. Pearch, 1770, pp. 135-136. 4v. ; 8⁰. (ESTC T116245; DMI 1137; OTA K093079.004) (Page images digitized from a copy in the Bodleian Library [(OC) 280 o.791].)
The text has been typographically modernized, but without any silent modernization of spelling, capitalization, or punctuation. The source of the text is given and all editorial interventions have been recorded in textual notes. Based on the electronic text originally produced by the TCP project, this ECPA text has been edited to conform to the recommendations found in Level 5 of the Best Practices for TEI in Libraries version 4.0.0.
Other works by Joseph Cockfield
- ADVICE TO A SHEPHERD. ()
- EPITAPH ON A SCHOOLFELLOW. ()
- INSCRIPTION FOR A ROOT-HOUSE. ()
- THE LATTER PART OF HABBAKUK, CHAPTER III. ()
- ODE ON AUTUMN. WRITTEN IN THE YEAR MDCCLXI. ()
- ODE TO CONTENT. ()
- ODE TO HEALTH. ()
- ODE TO SOLITUDE. ()
- PSALM CXXXVII. ()
- WRITTEN AT THE HERMITAGE AT ALDERSBROOK, MDCCLXI. ()
- WRITTEN ON A CHINESE TEMPLE IN MR. SCOTT'S GARDEN AT AMWELL. ()