Thomas Warton(9 January 1728 - 21 May 1790)
Works in ECPA
alphabetical listing / listing in source editions
- FIVE PASTORAL ECLOGUES. ()
- NEWMARKET. A SATIRE. ()
- ODE FOR MUSIC. PERFORMED AT THE THEATRE IN OXFORD, ON THE SECOND OF JULY, MDCCLI, BEING THE ANNIVERSARY APPOINTED BY THE LATE LORD CREW, BISHOP OF DURHAM, FOR THE COMMEMORATION OF BENEFACTORS TO THE UNIVERSITY. ()
- ODE ON THE APPROACH OF SUMMER. ()
- ODE TO HORROR. IN THE ALLEGORIC, DESCRIPTIVE, ALLITERATIVE, EPITHETICAL, FANTASTIC, HYPERBOLICAL, AND DIABOLICAL STYLE OF OUR MODERN ODE-WRIGHTS, AND MONODY-MONGERS. ()
- On BATHING. A SONNET. ()
- ON THE BIRTH OF GEORGE PRINCE OF WALES. WRITTEN AFTER AN INSTALLATION AT WINDSOR, MDCCLXII. ()
- ON THE DEATH OF KING GEORGE THE SECOND, AND ACCESSION OF KING GEORGE THE THIRD. ADDRESSED TO WILLIAM PITT, ESQ. BEING THE CONCLUDING COPY OF OXFORD VERSES. ()
- ON THE MARRIAGE OF KING GEORGE THE THIRD AND QUEEN CHARLOTTE. TO THE QUEEN. ()
- A PANEGYRIC on ALE. ()
- THE PLEASURES of MELANCHOLY. Written in the Year 1745. ()
- The Progress of DISCONTENT. A POEM. Written at Oxford in the Year 1746. ()
- A SONNET; written at W—DE in the Absence of —. ()
- THE TRIUMPH OF ISIS. OCCASIONED BY THE FOREGOING POEM. ()
- A Collection of Poems in Six Volumes. By Several Hands. Vol. IV. London: printed by J. Hughs, for R. and J. Dodsley, 1763 [1st ed. 1758]. 6v.: music; 8⁰. (ESTC T131163; OTA K104099.004)
- A Collection of Poems in Six Volumes. By Several Hands. Vol. VI. London: printed by J. Hughs, for R. and J. Dodsley, 1763 [1st ed. 1758]. 6v.: music; 8⁰. (ESTC T131163; OTA K104099.006)
- A collection of poems in four volumes. By several hands. Vol. I. [The second edition]. London: printed for G. Pearch, 1770. 4v. ; 8⁰. (ESTC T116245; DMI 1122; OTA K093079.001)
- A collection of poems in four volumes. By several hands. Vol. II. [The second edition]. London: printed for G. Pearch, 1770. 4v. ; 8⁰. (ESTC T116245; DMI 1135; OTA K093079.002)
- A collection of poems in four volumes. By several hands. Vol. IV. [The second edition]. London: printed for G. Pearch, 1770. 4v. ; 8⁰. (ESTC T116245; DMI 1137; OTA K093079.004)
Index of English Literary Manuscripts. Vol. III, 1700-1800 . London: Mansell, 1986-1997. Pt. 4 Sterne-Young. 455-509. Print. 4 volumes.
The Works of the English Poets, from Chaucer to Cowper; including the Series Edited, with Prefaces, Biographical and Critical, by Dr Samuel Johnson: and the most approved translations. The Additional Lives by Alexander Chalmers, F.S.A. Vol. XVIII. London: J. Johnson et al., 1810. 73-141. Google Books edition. Web. 13 Feb. 2016. https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=b0LVAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA73
Vance, John A. Joseph and Thomas Warton. An Annotated Bibliography. New York and London: Garland, 1983. Print.
Baines, Paul, Julian Ferraro, Pat Rogers, eds. The Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Eighteenth-Century Writers and Writing, 1660-1789. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell, 2011. 358-359. Print.
Fairer, David. English Poetry of the Eighteenth Century 1700-1789. Longman Literature in English Series. Harlow: Longman, 2003. 290. Print.
English Poetry, 1660-1800: a guide to information sources. American Literature, English Literature, and World Literatures in English Information Guide Series, vol. 40. Detroit: Gale, 1982. 408-416. Print.
Radcliffe, David H., ed.
Rev. Thomas Warton (1728-1790). Spenser and the Tradition: ENGLISH POETRY 1579-1830. Center for Applied Technologies in the Humanities, Virginia Tech, 2006. Web. 14 Oct. 2011. http://spenserians.cath.vt.edu/AuthorRecord.php?recordid=33111.
Warton, Thomas. A Collection of Poems by Several Hands . Ed. Robert Dodsley and Michael F. Suarez. Vol. I. London: Routledge/Thoemmes, 1997. 220-221. Print. 6 volumes.
Thomas Warton, Thomas Gray, and the Recovery of the Past. Hutchings, W. B. and William Ruddick, eds. Thomas Gray: Contemporary Essays. Liverpool: Liverpool UP, 1993. 146-70. Print.
Griffin, Robert J.
The Eighteenth-Century Construction of Romanticism: Thomas Warton and the Pleasures of Melancholy. ELH 59 (1992): 799-815. Print.
Pittock, Joan. The Ascendancy of Taste: The Achievement of Joseph and Thomas Warton. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1973. Print.
Thomas Warton and the Oxford Chair of Poetry. English Studies 62 (1981): 14-33. Print.
Vance, John A. Joseph and Thomas Warton. Boston: Twayne, 1983. Print.